Friday, November 27, 2009

peace, joy and thankfulness

I get a devotional sent to me from the Daily Encourager every day and I have been getting some great ones over the past couple of days about thankfulness. One of the stories ended with a great Psalm to remember: "Thank the Lord because He is good. His love continues forever. That is what those whom the Lord has saved should say." Psalm 107:1-2
Another was a story about someone finding themselves looking at the negative in people instead of the positives. It made me think about the situations where I often think, wouldn't it be great if nothing bothered us and we always were able to find only the joys in everything and in others we are surrounded by. The story had a great offering to help with this and I wanted to share so I've posted a little of it below. A big reminder to be thankful for our Lord above all this holiday season because it's through Him we can find perfect joy!

"...I found Ephesians 5:4. It said, 'no coarse, stupid, or flippant talk; these things are out of place; you should rather be thanking God' (New English Bible). When I read that, I realized I needed to replace the words I was thinking or using with words of thanksgiving. That would solve my problem. After all, I couldn't speak harshly and thank God at the same time. I couldn't criticize those around me if I had a thankful attitude about them.
When I'm tempted to think unkindly, I stop and thank God instead. Instead of using your tongue to tear people down, train it to lift God's praises up. Then living at peace with others will come easily to you!"


"If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with every one." Romans 12:18

No comments:

Post a Comment